Pages

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Sopa De Fideo (Con Pollo)



My friend makes the most amazing and simple noodle soup. The fact that I initially tried the soup when she made it for her 3 year old daughter is a compliment to how this simple recipe can satisfy anyone’s taste buds. Though my initial attempt of this recipe a few months ago failed miserably (I blame it on being sick at the time!), I was able to dust myself off and try again. This time, it was delicious. I did a little bit of research and found out that what I had been calling Mexican noodle soup, is actually known as “Sopa De Fideo”. Sopa De Fideo, which translates to noodle soup, is an essential recipe of Mexican cooking, right up there with rice! While I have already mastered Persian style rice, I’m sure I’ll be playing with the Sopa De Fideos recipe to make it my own. Like you would with tomato soup, add a garnish when you serve the soup, such as sour cream (or the drained yogurt!), salsa, cheese, jalapenos, or as I did, green onions and cilantro.

Sopa De Fideo Con Pollo - Chicken noodle soup

Servings: 5-6
Prep & Cook time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:
2 tomatoes
1 small onion
1 package of Fideo (you can find these tiny noodles in the Hispanic aisle of the supermarket) or vermicelli noodles broken into 1 inch pieces
3 tbsp vegetable oil
2 chicken breasts or 3 chicken thighs
2 cartons chicken or vegetable stock
Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions:

1- If you are adding chicken to the soup, then in a medium pot boil the chicken in 3 cups of the chicken stock. Flip halfway through cooking.
2- In a medium skillet, saute noodles in the vegetable oil on medium-low heat until lightly brown. Set aside.
3- In a food processor or blender, puree the tomatoes and onion. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4- In a large pot add the tomato/onion puree, noodles, and the rest of the chicken stock. Bring to boil.
5-Reduce to medium heat, and cook with the lid on until the noodles are cooked through. If you are adding chicken, do so at the end and cook for 1 minute longer.
6- Remove from heat. Serve with your favorite garnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment