I have been on a major bacon binge lately. I never used to eat it the stuff, but thanks to the bf I started to get it at restaurants, which led to me buying it and fried it up at home for breakfast, and of course I've reached that climactic stage in bacon evolution, a week of bacon in everything! From sandwiches, to breakfast foods, to bacon wrapped hot dogs, I have been hard at work clogging up my arteries. But there was one recipe that was amazingly delicious: Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Baking with bacon seems to be a new trend. Chocolate dipped bacon, maple bacon cupcakes, and bacon cookies have been popping up in restaurants, bakeries, and blogs. How could I not try a recipe that combines that greasy, salty taste with the chocolaty goodness of a chocolate chip cookie?! And get ready for this... instead of butter, this recipe uses bacon drippings. Oh ya, I said it. Enjoy it.
Now for some exercise...
Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies (with Butterscotch Chips)
Recipe adapted from A Cozy Kitchen
Makes about 24 cookies
Prep and cooking time: 1 hour
1/2 cup white sugar
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
3/4 cup bacon drippings at room temperature
2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups flour
6 pieces of bacon, fried and chopped (the original called for 4, but come on, it's bacon)
6 oz. of chocolate chips
3 oz. of butterscotch chips (optional- but the flavor goes really well with bacon)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the white sugar, brown sugar, egg and bacon drippings.
3. Add the oats, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, flour and mix well.
4. Gently fold in the bacon and chocolate chips (and butterscotch chips).
5. Using your hands shape the dough into 1 1/2″ to 2″ cookies. Place on ungreased cookie sheets and bake for ten minutes or until done.